30.12.06

On the Execution of Saddam Hussein.

What's fascinating me now isn't the actual act itself- I've always been against capital punishment, but I'm sensible enough to know that my views are so far removed from the circumstance that they have no bearing on it at all. What I'm looking forward to more than anything is watching the media showing their hand- coverage is going to "play out" over the next few days. A perfect example of what I mean has arisen immediately- the following charming graphic is from the current front page of www.foxnews.com (slogan- "We Report, You Decide):

Massive red font, bones in the background, Saddam looking for all the world like he's been caught red-handed skull-fucking the corpse of Gerald Ford... real, old-school propaganda. This sort of reporting takes all the stress away for people without opinions- "here's a viewpoint, it's perfect for you! It's ours, sure, but you can use it. Go on, look at the dramatic font and the skulls AND SPOUT OUR AGENDA AS YOUR OWN, FLESHBAGS".

I hope everyone had a fantastic Christmas by the way, Laura and I certainly did. I'll try to avoid posting while slaughtered tomorrow night, but I can't promise anything.

No comments: