16.1.07

BURN YOUR TELEVISION.

I reached a conclusion today. Ready?

The power to imagine is dying.

I teach Drama, a subject that thrives on creative input from pupils. I make sure that the environment is one in which pupils can feel safe from ridicule and judgement, and I do my best to keep lessons lively- music, moving images, I try to fucking well keep it dynamic, but the time has to come where the pupil takes over and infuses their work with something of themselves. All the fuckers can do is rip off shit catchphrase comedy ("Eh-eh-ehhh!"), try to act the gangsta, or mug like pricks to get easy laughs.

Until I teach a class where the pupils can take a suggestion and run with it, can explore an inner world that doesn't come from a screen and can relate to each other in original terms without relying on pop-culture, then I'll stand by my assertion that the imagination is dying- each kid that gets a plasma screen in their bedroom forgets how to switch on the screen inside, where all the really good programmes are on. I'm speaking in broad terms, I know, but I love having the power of abstract thought and I don't want to see a generation without it.

Anyway, in other news, I'm actually going to see GWAR.

1 comment:

Tre Cope said...

Guarenteed answers to questions in drama:

Q: What's your character's name?
A: Bob / Billy-Bob / [insert pupil's name here]

Q: How old is your character?
A: Erm...[insert pupil age here]

Q: Where does your character live?
A: [insert own town name here]

Q: If your character could be represented by a colour, what would it be?
A: Fuck knows.

I'd happily burn my telly - but Waterloo Road's back on again next month.