27.10.06

Evil Dead: The Musical.


I've always been a gigantic horror freak. One of the earliest film memories I have is sitting with my nose practically squeezed against the T.V screen, watching a grainy and washed-out pirate VHS copy of The Evil Dead and having my mind blown to pieces by the crazy intensity and viscera. A few years later the sequel did the same, but my slightly-more mature mind was able to appreciate the slapstick and roll with the humour. I wasn't the only one- the two Evil Deads (and to a lesser extent the threequel, Army of Darkness) are hugely-beloved cult classics. When you meet someone new, it's usual to ask about favourite films- take it from me, if someone mentions Evil Dead, they're good people.
The first film is now twenty-five years old. The musical is clearly being produced by people like me who grew up as fans, with fanatical love for the source material. Each review I've read has gushed praise over it like foamy blood from a trapdoor. It feels to me like it could be a new Little Shop of Horrors- I think I've made my point. Just let it suffice to say: if this ever makes it's way to the UK, I will take a chainsaw to anything that gets in the way of my getting a ticket.

No comments: